Tuesday, February 23, 2010

You know, girls cost more

When people ask when I am due it is always followed up with, do you know if it is a boy or girl. When I tell them girl they are all excited for me. One day a lady said congratulations and then she said "You know, girls cost more than boys." At first I was like what!? The hospital charges you more for a girl! Luckily I was thinking this, because if I had spoken it I would have been made fun of. I then asked why girls were more expensive. "Because," she said "You have to accessorize and buy the matching socks for every outfit." Oh, so it is not because the hospital charges you more, thank goodness because if that were the case then someone would be hearing from me!
I have thought about this a lot and as I got the mail today in it was an American Girl doll magazine. Now for those of you who may not know about the American Girl dolls here is a very brief description. When I was in grade school there were three, Kirsten, Samantha and Molly. Each of them were from a different time period in US history. There are books about them. The actual dolls came out, I think, when I was in arm pit school, oh that would be junior high school. I would go through the magazine and circle all the dresses and accessories I wanted. Yes, that's right, accessories. You could buy the whole school room set, complete with a sack lunch, desk, dress, etc. Or you could but a whole tea party set, complete with table, four chairs, tea cups, etc. All miniaturized for the dolls. I actually own a Samantha doll and too this day I still get her down every so often and brush her hair and put her cute hat on, etc. (Yes I will never grow up!)
Anyways, I was flipping through the magazine and could not help but want to circle everything! And then I realized, this is what my little girl is going to do one day. And these dolls are not cheap! So not only will I have to buy all the cute bows, socks, and jewelery for my little girl, but I too want her to have an American Doll because they are so much fun to play with. Or fun to look at if your mom was like mine and you weren't allowed to play with her, just look! So that lady was right, girls do cost more! (I know they don't have too!)
I should mention though that I think boys may actually cost more and here is why: No, you don't buy all the accessories for them like you do girls BUT boys tend to get hurt worse, and you end up in the emergency room, or the local instant care, after they break their arm riding their big wheel. Or they have to get a tetanus shot every year because they cut their thumb, chin, whatever open and have to get stitches. If our little girl takes after JP, then we will be visiting the instant care often. If she takes after me, then we may be safe. (at least until sixth grade!)

2 comments:

toni said...

no way do boys cost more! I'm already saving for school and missions, but you know what? Thay wedding sure will be cheap one day! Oh, and proms, and clothes, and shoes, etc...! Love it. Mines probly a girl anyway

littlered said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH SO true, so true!!!! Also, if they play golf with grandpa, you might want to watch out... ;)