Thursday, February 25, 2010

Freaking out

The other day I overheard JP talking to one of his friends about the upcoming arrival of our little girl. Although he is very excited he is also freaking out. His friend kind of laughed at him for this. "No," JP said. "She comes in two months! My life is going to be completely different." I just started laughing. I have tried to explain, for two years, that life is going to be different. No more jump in the car and take off to St. George trips last minute. They will have to be more planned out! No more really late nights out because a baby will have to be put to bed, etc. Yes, I know it is going to be a life changing experience but what else do you expect. We are going to be in charge of caring for and raising another person. (and hopefully not screwing up!) For the first couple of years she is going to be completely dependent on JP and I. Then one day she is going to tell us she no longer needs our help and do things herself. It is a little terrifying, but I am always up for a challenge!
I am planning on going back to work part time and lots of people tell me that is a mistake. I have decided that I have to figure it out on my own. So I will take two months maternity leave and then return part time. After two months working part time I will re-evaluate. JP was kind of shocked that I was not going back full time. I told him that was never an option. I then explained my going part time and then re-evaluating plan. He was surprised that I might possibly stop doing hygiene for awhile. I told him that I am in a different place in my life and if I feel that staying home is right for me then I will. What is more rewarding, working as a hygienist or being a mom? Being a mom! Yes I have wanted to be a dental hygienist since I was 16 and I, for the most part, love my job. But being a mom has been a life long goal for me and I don't want to look back and think I worked too much. JP has been very supportive of my decision, as he has with all my decisions. He has also figured out that once I set my mind to something, I don't usually change it!
So in a way I am freaking out too! I have a lot of decisions in the near future, but one thing I am not freaking out about is the fact that I am going to be a mom in two months. I cannot wait to hold our little girl. I can't wait to see JP hold our little girl! She is going to have the best dad ever! I can't wait to see how our dogs react to our new addition. I think Bailey will be fine, but Molly is going to be another story. Here's too a new chapter in my book of life!

5 comments:

Laur said...

i have too much to say to just write it, we need to go to dinner this coming week kay? love you girly

jamie said...

For me, what changed was something I couldn't ever have forseen. Becoming a mom changed me fundamentally so that I am a completely different person post-kids than I was before. Better, I think. The way I think about things, the way I look at life, my priorities...everything.

I think your plan about going back to work and keeping an open mind about it is very good. I jumped back into work full time head first and was miserable for Alex's first year. Nobody believed it when I quit because I'd always loved my job and had a very bright future ahead of me. When I quit, I was about to get a big promotion. In fact, my company didn't even replace me for several months after I left, believing I'd be back. But, the three and a half years I spent as a stay at home mom were the best years of my life. BEST!

Scott and Sara said...

I think it is great you have a plan to go back. I loved staying at home with Cam and working part time. It was the perfect balance for us.
Just tell people to shut it when they tell you you are making a mistake. You can decide! : )
I cannot wait to see that little girl either. You guys are going to make great parents!!

Lauri said...

I completely agree with these lovely ladies! You are a big girl and you can make your own decisions and as long as your wonderful husband supports you, then that is the way you should go. I worked for a while when Grant was about 18 months to about 3. I hated it so bad, I couldnt stand to be away from him. I am so glad that we are in a position that I will not have to work after this baby is born. I love being home with my kiddo, but everyone is different. Go with your heart and do what feels right for you and your family. In the end that is all that matters.

PS We would all love to see some pictures of that cute baby belly!

littlered said...

Just so you know, I started to cry when I read this, not to mention your last paragraph also made me bawl... awesome, I can't wait to see what I do when she's here! Steph, I can't even say how excited I am for you and JP, you've been waiting a LONG time for her and I'm so happy to have been there with you! To have had those long talks, cry sessions, and everything in between!!! I LOVE you so much!!!