Thursday, December 29, 2011

Do you want to say goodby?

My grandfather Joseph Anderson passed away the Monday before Christmas (the 19th). Although I am sad about it, I watched him the past year roller coaster with his health. He went into the hospital on the 1st of December with pneumonia. He got better and was moved to an assisted living place and was there for about four days before he passed away.
I had the opportunity to spend a couple of hours with him the night of the 14th. He kept saying he wanted to go home and when he could go home. I got a strong impression that he was not talking about his earthly home and trying to hold it together at 26 weeks pregnant is not a very easy task. My grandma and I kept telling him he could go home soon, knowing that home was probably not an option. Being able to serve my grandpa, if but for a couple of hours, in his last week was a great blessing to me. My grandmother kept telling me that I chose the wrong profession and should have been a nurse because I was so good at it. It was more if I threw myself into serving and doing something I didn't think about the inevitable.
While I was visiting with my grandfather, he was sitting in a chair for awhile. He was on oxygen and my grandmother kept telling him to lean back and he would be able to breathe better. My grandfather kept leaning forward, so my grandmother would push his forehead to make him tilt back. I know I should not laugh but after my grandmother did this a couple of times my grandfather reached over and started tapping my grandmother on the forehead. That was his way of asking does that feel good, no so please stop.
Grandpa Joe was am amazing man. I learned so much about him at his funeral. He was a musician and would make up songs about working and the nation. The grandchildren sang Give Said the Little Stream at the funeral. If you are a little confused about the choice of song, apparently it was one of my grandpas favorites and my uncle found this really neat version on line.
The viewing was the night of the 22nd and the funeral was the 23rd. Although it was cold that Friday, the sun was shining and it could not have been a more beautiful day. There was a gun salute for him and then they played the song they do when a soldier has fallen. (I am not sure of the name). I am SO grateful for a grandfather who had so much integrity and taught me about hard work. This little boy I am carrying is really going to have big shoes to fill with all the Joseph's that have preceded him.
I am grateful for my membership in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and the knowledge I have that families are forever and that I will see my grandfather again. It really does make it a little easier to know I have not said my last good by, only a so long for now.

No comments: