Sunday, February 12, 2012

Tank U Mommy. Tank U Daddy

Abilynn says thank you! I know is sounds like nothing but it took us months to get her to say please so I thought thank you would take awhile too, I was wrong. She is actually better at saying thank you without asking, then she is at saying please. She will usually demand what she wants, "chocolate milk!!", and when you say 'how do you ask' she will then say "pees" in a very nice voice.
My little girl is learning and growing so quickly! She can almost count to three; one, three. She forgets two! She is getting more and more independent and if we try to do things for her sometimes she gets upset because 'I do it!' If Abilynn asks for something and wants us to know she really wants it she will squat down and hit the floor. She will do this a couple of times to let us know she wants it and wants it NOW. The other day she leaned her head against the fridge and sort of fake cried. I had to leave the room because I was going to laugh! Where she learns this stuff is beyond me. I certainly do not hit the floor to get what I want.
She really likes chocolate milk. It is requested frequently during the day. In fact the first thing she says when she wakes up is 'choco milk'. The other day I had bought more chocolate milk mix and had it on the counter. JP was home from work and hanging out with Abi when I heard him get mad at her. I went into the kitchen to see what was going on and Abilynn wanted some chocolate milk and had grabbed the mix off the counter and opened it.
She also likes dip: ketchup, salsa, cheese, anything you can dip stuff in. The other day I was in the basement doing laundry. Abilynn escaped upstairs, like she frequently does, and returned downstairs with a bag of chips. (I have got to start putting everything in the middle of the counter because this girls reach gets longer and longer everyday!) She ran back upstairs again and this time returned with a bottle of salsa. 'Dip, mommy, DDDIIIIPP!!'
I will admit, some days are exhausting with Abilynn. I realize she is just figuring out EVERYTHING and has to try things over and over, even if she has been told not to do it again! She is learning what to do to get her way. With daddy she gets her way quicker than with mommy. She doesn't always get her way and that results in some nice tantrums. I ignore the tantrum and walk away, JP trys to get her to stop. After I explained to him why she throws the tantrum and to just ignore the tantrum, she is throwing them less. JP would get mad at her and try to get her to stop, which resulted in the tantrum getting worse most times. She has learned to say 'no' and will let you know if she does not want to do something. She will also say 'yea' when she does want to do something. Abilynn doesn't always have a choice, like when we get in the car she has to get in her car seat or the car doesn't go anywhere. If she doesn't want to put her coat on to go outside, I simply start leaving without her. I know it sounds mean but it works. And she LOVES outside, just not always the coat.
I talk to Abilynn like she understands everything I am saying. I have had many people laugh at me and think this is crazy but she is understanding more and more. I explain why we do things 'we sit in your car seat to keep you safe. the car can't go if you are not in your car seat,' 'it is cold outside, so we need to put your coat on,' 'if you throw food on the floor, mommy will take it away and not give it back.' I have full one sided conversations with her. If you are bored one day, follow us through the grocery store. I get looks from people all the time because I am talking to Abilynn. I am just telling her what I am buying, why she has to sit down in the shopping cart, why we can't buy whatever she is pointing too, etc. I probably do sound like a crazy lady, but I don't care!

3 comments:

Tim and Ashley Tappana said...

As far as your "grown-up" conversations with Abilynn go...I am the exact same way with Emmy. I know she understands more than what I think she does...so why not talk to her like she understands every word anyway? When we go shopping, I tell her about the things we're buying too. I often think people think I'm nuts because I talk to my child like that...but I'm her Mommy. She's who I'm with all day long, so we have conversations! There's nothing wrong with that :)

Rachel said...

They grow up so fast!! It's fun to hear about what Abilynn's doing because that's what we can expect of Jilly in 6 months give or take :) It sounds like both our girls are very adventurous!

Shboogoo's Mommy said...

It's very smart, not crazy, to talk to your child a lot. :) I started reading books to S pretty much from day one, and also speaking in full sentences (Drew does too) about what I was doing or showing to her, etc. She was definitely advanced in the language department, talking like a 3-year-old when she was 2 and even younger.