Friday, January 6, 2012

Baby clothes hoarder

Here is my confession: I am a baby clothes hoarder. It all began about 5 years ago. When I REALLY wanted a baby but we were not successful. I would wander the baby clothes and look at how cute and small they were. Slowly I started purchasing clothes, but my stipulation was it has to be on sale and below $10. Now for any of you who have looked for baby clothes before, you know that finding something under $10 on sale is actually easy, but is it cute? I also started buying only short sleeve shirts because you can always put a sweater on. I also had a total price limit, that even if the clothes were cute I could not spend over that limit.
See not knowing when I would get pregnant and when baby would be due, I did not want to have clothes that I could not use. It also didn't help that I was shopping for others babies a lot at this time, so it was not always my fault. I HAD to go into the baby clothes stores and into the baby department because I was buying gifts for others. (Yes, sounds like someone who has a problem!!)
So this went on and we got pregnant. Then the shopping really began, but I kept to my same rules. Since it takes 18-20 weeks to know what you are having I could not splurge too much. I was also worried about buying too many clothes. (Is there really such thing as too many clothes!? Actually, there is!) As my sister Whitney can attest too, I really had a problem. Well Baby turned out to be girl, and the shopping changed to pink, dresses, shoes, etc. Before Abilynn was born I had to pack away the boy clothes I had accumulated. Turns out I had purchased more then I thought. I filled a 18 gallon tupperware. Into storage it went, and JP never knew!
Then we got pregnant with Baby #2. I did not go shopping this time. I had a 16 month old to push around and even though she is a girl, shopping is NOT her thing! Unless we can be in and out of the store in less then 20 minutes, or I want to hold her for half the shopping experience. I love her very much and she is a GREAT deterrent to keep me away from baby clothes stores and baby departments. (But I must bring up the online shopping issue. The cure for that is clothes just don't look that cute online as they do in the store. Not to mention that sale stuff is cheaper in the store. Remember, I do have a problem that I have had for years so I know my stuff!)
I have picked up stuff here and there for Little Boy but I am trying very hard not to buy too much. Although baby clothes are very cute and small they can only wear so many outfits in one day. They also grow A LOT so they sometimes only wear something once or not at all. I decided it was time to find the baby boy clothes I packed away almost 3 years ago. I have to say, it may have been an 18 gallon tupperware but I did very well at buying a lot of different sizes. (Yes, I am justifying my actions!)
I would like to say that this habit has stopped. For the most part it has. I do search out sale stuff for Abilynn for next season here and there, but I have not filled an 18 gallon tupperware yet. I also have to be careful buying too much for her because she is tall and skinny. Even if she is only 20 months, she is wearing 2T clothing right now and I don't want a tupperware full of clothes that don't fit at all!
It was easier to confess this then I thought! Now I just have to wait for JP's reaction to my baby clothes hoarding. I already have a speech ready (Yes, I am that crazy!). It goes something like this "Yes, I know it is a lot of clothes,, but think about it. I actually saved us money. See we don't have a lot of excess money right now but when I worked full time we did. So I spent some here and there on baby clothes. And yes I knew there was a chance that we might not ever have a baby boy but that does not mean others would not have baby boys and I would need clothing for them. " Pretty good speech, huh!? (Look, I have never, nor will I ever, claim to be normal, or not crazy. In my opinion we are all crazy and normal is whatever you think it is!)

2 comments:

Shboogoo's Mommy said...

Excellent speech! At least you didn't stock up on regular-price items. I bought some boy clothes -- I guess more girl ones, too -- while pregnant with baby #2, and we didn't find out she was a she until she was born. Then when she was past newborn size I bought a couple of newborn dresses at thrift stores (and yay, we have another girl to wear them!).

Cam said...

You are hilarious! Love your posts.