A couple of weeks ago Abilynn and I went up to Kennecott Copper with Aunt Jamie and Cousin Tymon. I had wanted to go for awhile and Jamie had a free parking pass. So off we went. I haven't been out to Kennecott in probably 15 years and so we made a couple of wrong turns but we got there!(For those of you who are confused how you can make a wrong turn in the middle of no where, it is possible when there are new roads and cities that were not there last time!) Apparently is was free for everyone all week so we had to park in a dirt field and get bussed up to the top. Tymon and Abilynn liked the bonus bus ride!
It is amazing how BIG Kennecott is. Like I said earlier I hadn't been out there for probably over 15 years. The mine was almost double the size I remember it being. They have a great visitors center with lots of information about Kennecott and what they mine, how they mine it and what they do with it after. They also have a lot of replica trucks, which my nephew was crazy about!
Even if you don't have a free parking pass it is only $5 for a car load. While we where there they let off some dynamite. It was actually pretty cool to see. The dynamite was about 50 feet below the ground so you really just heard a rumble and then saw lots of dust. I learned that they put water down into the holes with the dynamite to prevent too much dust. I also learned that Kennecott can be seen from space. And the last thing I remember reading is the medals that were given out at the Salt Lake City 2002 Olympics were made from minerals that were mined from Kennecott. How cool is that!
Sunday, July 24, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment