Monday, May 24, 2010

Baby Girls Story (tried to shorten and condense, sorry so long!)

So as you know from previous post I was over due and baby girl was not dropping and I was not dilating. So I was scheduled to be induced on the 12th of May. Because my cervix was not ripening, as the medical world calls it (I will never think of fruit the same way again!), I could not be induced with pitocan. I was induced with a drug called cytotec instead, and because I have to dilate and efface I was induced at night to allow more time for things to get going. JP and I went to the hospital at 9:15 pm. We checked in and I got hocked up to everything and they gave me the first round of cytotec. It is a pill you take every three hours. First round down. We attempted to watch a movie but I wasn't really paying attention. Not to mention they put me on an IV of fluids and it made me have to pee about every half hour. You try to sleep with that much liquid going through you!

Around midnight JP leaves to check on the dogs and let them out. Shortly after he leaves I have to pee again. I am prepping to go to the bathroom, which was not an easy thing to do because I had to unplug the monitor on baby and the monitor for the contractions, then make sure my IV was not tangled on anything. After all that I had to wheel the IV hanger and waddle to the bathroom. NOT FUN! Anyways all of a sudden there is this big gush of fluid. I think, did I just pee my pants. But wait, I have not had that many fluids have I? How embarrassing if I did pee the bed. So I push the nurse call button and they ask what I needed. "I think my water just broke. Do you need to know that?" Listen people, sometimes I am not that smart OK and this was one of those times! They tell me they will send someone in. In the mean time I text JP and tell him I think my water just broke. "Did you page the nurse?" He asks. See, my own husband knows I sometimes panic and don't think logically! He comes back and yes my water did break.

Now this changes everything. They can no longer give me the cytotec so we wait. I am dilated to a 2 at this point. They keep checking on me and I keep peeing. JP is snoozing away on the nice comfortable bench/bed. Around seven, the nurse comes in and tells me she wants to hook a probe to Baby Girls head and put on in my uterus to measure how strong my contractions are. So the nurse tries putting the probe in my uterus but can't get it past Baby Girl. Apparently her hand is in the way, or at least that is what the nurse thinks it is. So she hooks up the probe to Baby Girl and then goes to get my doctor to have him check things.

My doctor comes in and checks things out. Which by the way IT IS NOT COMFORTABLE TO HAVE SOMEONES HAND UP YOUR YOU KNOW WHERE!!!!!!! What feels like thirty minutes later he is done checking things out. I am dilated to a four and 80% effaced, but Baby Girl is presenting eye and nose first. Baby Girl literally wanted to preview the world before coming into it. The doctor talks with me and JP and ultimately what it comes down too is Baby Girl is pretty much stuck where she is. There is no way to move her or rotate her to another position. Also every time I contract Baby Girl does not like it and her heart rate goes down. We are going to have to do a cesarean. I start crying at this point because I am scared. It didn't help that JP also teared up. Next thing I know people are parading in and out of my room, introducing themselves to me. JP is taken somewhere and prepped for surgery. I was shaved and given a very lovely hair cap to wear on my head. The papers are signed saying this is OK and the anesthesiologist comes in and explains what he will do. I sign and we are rolling down the hallway. I was able to find one minute in all the craziness to call my mom and tell her what was going on. JP was also able to call his dad. So at least family knew what was going on.

I was wheeled into the surgery room, transferred beds, and given the spinal block. The block worked so well my arms were slightly numb. And part of my left thigh is still numb! The anesthesiologist was nice and did not restrain my arms. It is a good thing he didn't because I think that would have caused me to panic even more! Next thing I know JP is telling me she is here and I hear Baby Girl crying. JP went over and was with her while they weighed and measured her. She was 14.5 ounces and the nurse and anesthesiologist had a conversation about rounding up or down. Nurse said down, anesthesiologist said up, round down it was. Baby Girl was born at 8:52 am weighing 7 pounds 14 ounces and was 22 inches long. From the time we decided on cesarean to the time she was born was 52 minutes. I was sewn up and wheeled back to the recovery room. I tell you what, the drugs they give you for and after a cesarean are VERY potent and you are in another world. I think I may have fallen asleep a little during the surgery. And to anyone who came and visited that first day, I apologize because I was so out of it I have no idea what I said to half of you!

We spent the next four and a half days at the hospital and came home on Monday the 17. I came home and slept, as did Baby Girl. While at the hospital people would be coming into my room every four hours or so and starting about six in the morning doctors and students would stop by and check my scare and ask tons of questions. At about eight things would mellow and then the pediatrician would come in. After everyone was done visiting and checking my incision just my nurse would come in after that. One morning a doctor was trying to wake me up and I startled awake and scared them. It was funny because they jumped more then I did!

Our first night home Baby Girl slept fantastic, I on the other hand, was up every three to four hours, not fun. After being woke up for four nights that often my body was use to it and thought that was the schedule. I have now reset my body schedule and now we run on the sleep walking but alert schedule, meaning I have no idea at what time Baby Girl will wake up so get into bed ASAP and sleep some before she wakes up. I also have gotten really good at taking at least one nap a day with her. Other times she naps I shower or am on the computer. (Ok I have to confess, sometimes I take two naps with her! Some nights are better then others!)

Sorry this post is so long but now you know Baby Girl's story. (and yes this is very shortened from the other story I typed up which was four pages long!)

No comments: