
You know those nights when your body is tired but your brain is racing and can't stop thinking about things. And it is not really important things, at least with me, it is these random thoughts. Last night was that way. So I started talking to JP. (he always keeps me up so now it is my turn to keep him up!) I was telling him about trying to look something up in the yellow pages and that I couldn't find it. I was trying to find Walgreens and at first I looked up Walgreens. Then I remembered that yo can't do that with the yellow pages. So then I looked up grocery store (no Walgreens), convenience store (again no Walgreens), and finally pharmacy (that was my saving grace because other wise I would have never found it.) JP just laughed at me and said when looking things up in the yellow pages you can't be specific, you need to be general. Then the conversation continued like this.
Stephani: "I know that but I didn't know what Walgreens was listed under."
JP (laughing again): "Well why didn't you look in the white pages under the business pages."
Steph: "Because I don't have a white pages in my car. They don't make a travel white pages for your car."
Then I said "I should have just called 411 and got the information from them because the yellow pages suck!"
Again JP laughed and said "They do make a travel white pages. You should put one in your car. Or you just need to learn how to use the yellow pages."
Steph: "Why when I have the white pages or 411?"
JP: "But you just said you don't have the white pages in your car."
Steph: "I don't but I could borrow one from a store or just call 411."
JP: "You just need to learn how to use the yellow pages. I will give you lessons."
So then the conversation continued about if I were looking for something how I would look it up in the yellow pages. I also learned that when looking up gas stations you have to look up convenience stores. That is apparently what a gas station is called, a "C" store. (this is good to know! I even looked it up in the yellow pages and gas station does not exist! See just another reason why I don't like the yellow pages) What I ultimately concluded was people who are looking things up in the yellow pages don't know what they want but people who look things up in the white pages know what they want. JP tried to tell me this was wrong because what if you wanted to call different stores and compare prices of something how would you know other stores that are comparable. To which I replied: "Well I always know what I am looking for, so I am just going to keep using the white pages."
Don't worry the conversation did not end there. Then JP started talking about air conditioners and heaters/furnaces, and this is the conversation.
JP: "Why is it called air conditioner and furnace."
Steph: "I don't know."
JP: "Well it doesn't make sense."
Steph: "What do yo mean? Why it is called air conditioner and heater and not something else?"
JP: "Well actually it is air conditioner and furnace. A heater is smaller and portable. But why is it called furnace? It must have something to do with the inside and how it works." (only JP would think it has to do with how it works because that is how his mind works, he has to know how other things work.
Steph: "Well what would you call it instead?"
JP: "I would call it a cold air conditioner and a hot air conditioner. Because that is what they do, they condition the air. One makes it hotter and the the other makes it colder."
Steph: nothing, by this point I was really tired and really had no idea why it was not called cold air conditioner and hot air conditioner so instead of trying to rationalize it (at one in the morning!) I let it go. But I still wonder.
So ask yourself, do you know how to use the yellow pages? If not, don't worry I have no idea either!? JP is giving lessons though. And do you know why it is called a furnace and not a hot air conditioner? Just some random thoughts to think about next time you are really tired and trying to sleep!
P.S. Do they really make a travel white pages? If so, does anyone know where I can get one because that would make my life so much easier!
2 comments:
YEA! I'm so excited about your blog. Now we can actually know what's going with each other since our cousins reunions never quite work out :) Your post was cute, you guys are so funny. love you
Love that you're a blogger! And I've always had issues with the yellow and white pages. Google text is my BFF. Although here, I'm pretty much bound to paper maps and guide brochures. :)
Love you lots! :)
Post a Comment