Wednesday, July 9, 2008

I had an epiphany

I know what you are thinking, oh great so what does Stephani have to tell us now, but this is pretty good. The other night when I couldn't sleep JP and I started talking (don't worry I will not include the whole conversation again!) At one point in our conversation I said "There is no normal." As many of you know I say this a lot. I do because this is really what I think. But the other night after I said this I was thinking, if there is no normal then what is there? And this is what I came up with "There is no normal, just varying degrees of crazy." Now before you all send me nasty comments about calling you crazy hear me out for a second.

See normal does not exist. It is a make believe thing that you are taught at a young age to be like. Normal is a figment of your imagination and try as you might you will never achieve normal. This is why, what you do is "normal" for you. Because it is not "normal" for someone else it is weird or crazy in their eyes, when in fact it is not either of these, it is just different. Because people do things different then you, it will never be "normal" to you. Even though we are sometimes taught that different is bad, it really is not. If there weren't a different and we were all the same then life would be boring. (and the animals would have no one to talk to them!)

Case in point, I have two dogs, two turtles, and some fish. I talk to my dogs regularly like they are human and understand me. (I also talk to the turtles and fish. Now I will admit that this is a little crazy but they respond by moving like they understand!?!) Those of you who do not have dogs may see my behavior as weird or crazy, whereas those of you who have dogs may see my behavior as "normal." (cats can also be substituted) If you also talk to your pets you see my behavior as perfectly "normal" and nothing is crazy about it. Those of you who do not talk to your pets think of me as weird or crazy.

Another comparison, if I have not lost you by now. Some people like certain foods, where other people don't.
One of my sisters does not like cinnamon rolls and another sister does not like chewing gum. I think they are not "normal" because cinnamon rolls can be divine and I love chewing gum. But this behavior of not partaking of these certain foods is their "normal." Just like my not eating sausage (NASTY!) is my "normal".

So if you are confused here is the short of it, THERE IS NO NORMAL, just varying degrees of "crazy"!! (or to be more politically correct it would be differences not crazy) So stop trying to achieve a fictitious thing. Live how you want to, and go ahead and talk to your pets because they really do understand you!?!?!

P.S. If you are really confused and have no idea what I am talking about feel free to call me and ask me. Just be prepared for a long conversation!

3 comments:

littlered said...

haha I agree, I agree! (Except I do think you are CRAZY!) JK I love you, Stephi-Lynn :)

DillChips said...

I am happy that you understand some of my degrees of craziness because you are married to my bro hah.
People that don't talk to their pets are so crazy....

Ty and Ash Sorensen said...

hey steph your blog is cute and it was fun seeing you guys today!! our blog is tyandashsorensen.blogspot:)