I LOVE my job. I really like being a Dental Hygienist!! I don't so much like the grumpy old men. Today I filled in for Laura because she is out of town. My day was going really well until my second to last patient. He asked me where Laura was, well he actually asked where is that other girl who usually cleans my teeth. I told him she was out of town and I was filling in for her. He was OK with that, I guess?! As I was cleaning his teeth he reminds me that they were watching some pockets. Of course I know this because I read the chart before he came. But I am nice to him and tell him things look good. I use the ultrasonic and things go well. When I am done he wipes off his face and says "You're doing good.......So far." What exactly does this mean? Does it mean I am as good as Laura, that I didn't hurt him. Remember I hold sharp instruments in my hands so mocking me is not advised! So I finish up and am rescheduling him to come back and he asks me if the appointment is going to be with me or Laura. I tell him it can be with either he prefers, Of course he chose Laura. If you didn't like how I cleaned your teeth just tell me. Don't be a butt about it. I mean what the crap!Then my last patient was also a grumpy old man and when I asked him if it was OK if I took radiographs he starts going off about how we take those every time he comes in and he doesn't like all the radiation. It had actually been almost a year and a half since his last radiographs, but instead of arguing I just noted it in is chart and proceeded.
All things considered though, I LOVE LOVE being a Dental Hygienist!! (I better because I spent two years in purgatory for this) I even enjoy it more then I thought I would, grumpy old men and all!?!
2 comments:
What a jerk! What a grumpy old fart! Maybe he is just Scrooge. I think you do VERY well! So does Joe, you know him and he would tell you. There is always 1 person that can not be satisfied, you met him. Keep your cute chin up!
Funny thing I was going to say that the second grumpy old man sounds exactly like my Dad. But Jen is right my Dad would tell you, I really think when it comes to his teeth he is very very grumpy, I think he actually lightened up with getting his teeth done thanks to you. You are great at what you do and you will only get better from here on out.
Post a Comment