Thursday, July 31, 2008

For only $2.50 not $100

JP and I joined Triple A almost a year ago. We decided it would be a good idea in case our car ever brakes down or we get locked out or whatever else might happen. We have never, thankfully!!!, had to use their services but it is nice to know we have options. JP's cousin Scott just moved and he has a car that is not doing well. JP and I, probably me, told them that they could just use our Triple A card and get the car towed. (I know this may not be all OK with the Triple A people but I do have to be there to show id and what they don't know will not hurt them right!?) Anyways so I call and get everything set for Triple A to tow the car and I meet with Scott and get the keys. Well, after I set everything up I ask how many miles we are allowed to get towed. The nice man tells me 5. Five......what?!?!?!?! Only five, that will get you from the middle of no where to the middle of no where. What if we really were stranded somewhere in the middle of Utah and could only go 5 miles. So lets see would we want to be closer to the town that is 30 miles away or the town that is 20 miles away. Either way we would still be very far away with only being allowed 5 miles of free towing. I tell the guy I need the car towed about 15 miles so how much would the other 10 miles cost me? The guy tells me it will cost about 100 dollars. What......100 dollars!?!?!?!? WHAT THE CRAP, ARE YOU KIDDING ME? So I tell the guy I need to check with my husband before we do anything else. I call JP and tell him what I have found out. He tells me to call Triple A and upgrade our policy because 5 miles will literally get us to no where. I call the membership people and ask if we can upgrade. After being put on hold forever the guy comes back and tells me that we can upgrade. I ask how much it was going to cost. He looks in the computer and cannot find how much it will be. He says that if the amount is under 5 dollars the system will just write it off. Then he finds that it would have cost us $2.50, but it was just written off. Then I ask the very important question, how many miles can we be towed now. He tells me 100. I say 100 and the guy says yes. Then thinking I did not hear how many miles we could be towed with the other plan correctly I clarify things. I say "So with our old plan we could only be towed 5 miles right?" The Triple A guy: "Yes." Me:"And with the new plan we can be towed 100 miles?" Triple A guy: "Yes." Me:"OK, thank you."
WHAT THE CRAP! So for only 2 dollars and fifty cents we can be towed from no where (5 miles) to a real city (as far as 100 miles), or in Scott and Sarah's case from Sugar House to Bountiful. Man, who knew that $2.50 could buy so much?!?!

5 comments:

DillChips said...

That is outrageous!! Let me know what plan you upgrated to so that if we get triple A at some point we don't get the 5 mile plan.
It kinda is irritating to me, I am sure a lot of people don't realize they should get upgrated and perhaps this is a secret way that triple A makes money, those sneeky weiners.

Scott and Sara said...

Thanks Jp and Steph! When Scott told me I was cracking up! 2.50! Good deal...I will buy you a slurpee!

Lauri said...

That is so crazy! Seriously!

mrsjwd9 said...

I think we had better check our membership.
I have friend/colleague who has locked his keys in his car FOUR times THIS year and used his AAA. What a dork.

Anonymous said...

That is crazy. I am so glad you thought it through and upgraded. I think sometimes we are all afraid to ask or don't take the time. That 15 minute phone call saved you $100.00. Time well spent.